Friday, September 30, 2011

2 years, 4 months and a little update

Yesterday we got to take a little trip to the doctor's office for Lex and Sophia. The schedulers tried to convince me to bring in all 3 kids so Evie could get a flu shot, but they must not have 3 kids within 3 years of each other, lol. I did one trip to the doctor's office with all 3 kids when Sophia was 2 weeks old and I vowed never to attempt that again. Evie will have to make a trip for the flu shot some other day.

Lex was seen for his 2 year well child visit. He now weighs 29 lbs and is 35 inches tall. He's in the 66/67th percentiles for both. His head, as it has been since birth, is sitting in the 90th percentile. The entire visit he talked with the doctor and his resident, eliciting comment of surprise with how much and how well he talks. I certainly know he talks very well but it always amazes me how much more he talks when Evie isn't around. His inability to sit still for any amount of time during the visit (and the giant scabs on his head from his fall a week ago) also earned me comments about how he must keep me busy. Uh, yeah. Overall for the appointment, he's hitting all his milestones perfectly!

Sophia was seen for her 4 month well child visit. Her growth is definitely starting to slow down. She was weighed at 14.5 lbs (which is the same I estimated at 3 month old) and she's 24 inches tall. That puts her weight in the 73rd percentile and height in the 44th. Her head, unlike big sister and big brother, also falls into the 44th percentile. Gosh, no wonder she was the easiest to push out. Just like the other kiddos, she's also right on for all her milestones. She's pushing her head up, she's attempting to roll (soooo close), she smiles and coos, she follows people by turning her head, etc. We were given the go-ahead to try rice cereal in the next couple months if we want to, but I think we're going to skip it. There's not really any nutritional value to the cereal and we never had success with the other two actually eating it. So I was given the okay to wait until 6 months and just start with the fruits and veggies then (which the AAP recommends waiting until anyways).

And what's an update without including all 3 kids? Evie's been a handful lately...and I mean that in the most loving way possible. She's back to waking up entirely too early at 4:45 am. *sigh* I'm 99% certain she's only doing it because she wants to climb into bed with me and Shaun. I wouldn't mind that so much if she actually slept. I also don't know how to break her of the habit without messing with Lex's sleep. Since they share a room we'd have to bring her back into the room he's sleeping in and she definitely wouldn't be quiet about it. One kid awake before 5 am is better than 2 or 3 kids awake before 5 am. We've also had to pull her out of swim lessons. I'm not sure what happened but now she HATES going to swim lessons. She's fine with getting in the water and swimming with me or Shaun, but she doesn't like lessons. I'm not sure if it's the teacher (gosh, I hope not, she's my coworker!) or if it's the structured lessons that she doesn't like. She cries hysterically while getting changed into her swim suit, cries throughout her lesson and comes up with every excuse to get out of the pool possible. So we've canceled her lessons and we'll try again in a couple months. If anyone's got any tips for dealing with the early wake up, getting her to stay out of our bed, or getting her re-engaged in swimming, please feel free to share!


Preview for upcoming blog posts: video of Sophia giggling, pictures from Lex's birthday, fitness updates and Shaun turns 30!

No comments: