Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy 3rd birthday Evie

Three years ago today I became a mom to one very special girl. She was wanted and welcomed by everyone in our families. Shaun and I tried to get pregnant for just under 2 years, with Evie's pregnancy being the first positive pregnancy test we had seen in our trying-to-conceive journey.

I can still remember the excitement of being pregnant like it was yesterday. My plan had been to tell Shaun I was pregnant in some super creative way. Instead, I ran into our computer room with the test shaking so hard I couldn't even get the words out. He was facing away from me when I walked into the room (probably playing some game on his computer) and I finally managed to squeak out the words "We're. Going. To. Be. Parents!" He jumped up and hugged me; I started crying. Then the terror struck. OMG! We were going to be parents! What the hell did we know about raising kids?

My pregnancy was mostly uneventful and passed painfully slow in my mind, but the big day finally did come. August 16th, 2008 at 9:22 am I gave birth to our beautiful first born baby girl. We really did have no idea what we were getting ourselves into, lol. I thought taking care of one baby, a tiny baby that did nothing, was overwhelming at times. I stayed home for the first three months and then got bored enough to look for a job. I worked on and off over the next year. Evie's entire first year passed waaaay to quickly and I didn't even know how much I should have cherished every moment. They leave that baby stage much too fast. Some days now I wish we could go back to that level of easiness!

If it's possible, her second and third year have passed even quicker. She's gone from this giggle-y little baby, the center of our world, to this happy, independent part-one of our three-part center of gravity. She's changed a lot over the past three years. Evie is now very much into imaginative play, anything pink, and helping to mother her brother and sister. She has distinct preferences in music, books, television and reactions from mom and dad. She likes to pick her own clothes for the day, what meal she eats at any given time and what activities she participates in. Just last week she started swim lessons unassisted by me or Shaun. On her first day she was awarded a sticker for holding her breath under water! Next month she starts dance classes. I cannot believe we are a mere 2 years from kindergarten. Seriously, where has my baby gone? I anxiously look forward to the rest of our lives together and I can't wait to see how the years change her. She brings joy to my life in ways I never even imagined.


Baby girl, I love you! Happy, happy birthday Evelyn.

No comments: