Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Best present ever, two years running

Obviously this year it is because we have Evie to share in the holiday joy. Last year it was the knowledge of knowing we were going to have a baby.

One year ago today I was feeling utterly bummed that another cycle had passed where I had failed to get pregnant. I told Shaun I wasn't going to test at all. But anyone who knows me knows that I have zero patience for anything. I was officially one day late getting my period and decided to test. Not in the morning, like the tests recommend, but at 5 o'clock on a Monday evening.

I did not tell Shaun I was testing. Because if it had been negative he would have scolded me for using up the last test we had in the house. I didn't have to wait very long for the results. No watching a clock like you always see them do in the movies. The line appeared dark pink in a matter of seconds. The test line was even darker than the control line.

Shock. Awe. Excitement. All the happy emotions possible flooded through my mind. I had these grand plans in my head for how I was to tell Shaun I was pregnant. My running favorite at the time was to attach a sign to the back of his car before work in the morning saying "Honk! I'm going to be a daddy but my wife hasn't told me yet!" Hehe...I could just imagine how pissed he'd be at all the honkers as he drove to work, then how happy he'd be once he pulled into work and looked over his car.

Anyways, that lack of patience thing got to me instead. The moment I saw the line I ran into our office room (now appropriately converted into the nursery) where Shaun was playing some game on his computer. I don't remember the exact words anymore but I shouted something along the lines of "We're. Going. To. Be. Parents!"

A look of terror flashed briefly across his face in the nano second before he jumped up and hugged me. That's when I started bawling and panic set in. I was suddenly worried about whether we had made the right decision, if we were going to be good parents, if the baby would be healthy, etc.

I can now say with absolute certainty that we made the right decision to have a baby. Never in a million years would I trade what we have. As previously stated, Best.Present.Ever!

1 comment:

Mel said...

ITA!!! Best present ever!!! We feel the same about the holidays now too. We told our families on Christmas. It is such a joy and honor to be a parent. I love it!